Sunday 8 April 2018

1.14 Important News


When Sage throws up for the third time in a week, she realizes she needs to see a doctor. 





The hospital visit is quick but earth shattering. 

She's pregnant. 



This certainly complicates things. 




"Hey, why the hell did we have to meet out here in the snow?" Billy grumbles. He wasn't too interested in seeing Sage again after the months of pointedly ignored texts and calls, but her banshee-like shrieking over the phone convinced him to come to the hospital. 



"Look, Billy, I'm not seeing you for my health. But there's something important I have to tell you, something that I can't just leave for over the phone."

Billy stares blankly at her.




With a deep sigh, she comes out with it. 

"I'm pregnant with your baby, Billy." 



Billy pats her shoulder, "Sure, 'my' baby. If that's what you need to tell people." 




Sage's face contorts into an almost cartoonish expression of rage, "I can't believe you! Do you think I want to be pregnant with your child? You must be out of your mind!" 

"The child of a successful artist? Uh, yeah." 



"You're so astoundingly dense! Ugh, I don't want you anywhere near the baby. I just thought I'd tell you so you'd know you'll be a father." 




"Stop lying!" he seethes, reaching out to grab Sage. She recoils, her heart now beating quickly out of terror, "Who'd you fuck? C'mon, Sage. We both know that's why you left!" 




Her lips curl up into a snarl, "You're disgusting. Get out of my sight!" 

"Ha, that's not what you wanted when-," 

"GET OUT!" 





He can't run away fast enough. 




The weeks following the embarrassingly public conflict plod along. Sage is forced to take maternity leave- against her expressed wishes- and with the oppressively thick blanket of snow outside, there's not much to do. 

She cooks... 



She eats. 




She cleans... 





But it's not enough. 



After one of her doctor's appointments she decides to stop by the library. The doctor recommended a pregnancy book for her. Sage isn't one to disobey doctor's orders, after all. 

"Sage?" Nadine blinks in surprise, "Er, I mean Ms. Silver-," 

Sage sighs, "We're not at work... you can call me Sage." She would have preferred not to run into anyone she knows. Not in her state, at least. How embarrassing! 

Yuri glances at her abdomen and quirks an eyebrow, but says nothing. 



"Where have you been? Shirley refused to say anything, just that you wouldn't be working with us for a while!" 

Sage inwardly thanks Ms. Lin's discretion; she asked her boss not to tell anyone the reason behind her...lengthy leave of absence. 

"I suppose it's obvious... I'm pregnant," Sage admits hesitantly. Her smile is forced, but Nadine doesn't seem to notice. 



"Oh, that's wonderful! Will you be taking time off for the wedding as well?" 




Sage's smile becomes even more strained. 

"There won't be a wedding. Me and the father aren't...together." 




Watching his normally smooth wife falter, Yuri suppresses a smile. If he could freeze this moment and save it forever, he would. 

"Oh, I see. I'm sorry I didn't mean to be rude," 

Sage's cheeks are flaming, but she waves off Nadine's apology, "It's alright, it's the natural thing to assume..." 

"If you ever need help baby sitting, I'd be glad to help. It really takes me back to when Tatiana and Dimitri were young," she sighs wistfully. 



"That's very kind of you, I'm grateful for the offer." 

Nadine beams, "Anything for a friend- even a work friend." 





Briefly overwhelmed with gratitude, Sage pulls Nadine in for a hug. 

"I know this is unprofessional, but thank you. Really, it's...it's gratifying to know that you're willing to go that far for me." 

Yuri tries to hide his shock at the scene. He knows pregnancy hormones can wreak havoc on women's emotions, but he never thought even that would melt through Sage's icy exterior. 

"No problem, Sage. You're a part of our little family at the theatre; we help our own." 



After the Ivanovs move on to finding their books, Sage does the same. 

She has the suspicion she has a lot of reading to do... 



When she arrives home a few hours later, her head feels clearer and her body less achy than before. She finishes up the chores of this morning by gathering her dirty clothes. 



She glances at the picture hanging above the dryer. 

She let Billy know out of courtesy about their impending baby despite her reservations about his character. 



There's someone out there who's more deserving of her benefit of the doubt than Billy. 





"Sage, is that you? I haven't been able to get through to you for so long! The phone just wouldn't connect..."

She takes a deep breath before answering.

"It's me, mother. I have some pretty important news..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: :O



2 comments:

  1. :O so it's her mother's calls she's been dodging this whole time? I hope she'll be supportive, Sage needs support right now after the way Billy treated her <\3

    But the Ivanovs seem to be kind and good friends, hopefully she's learning to loosen up and let them in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! The thing is in my original draft we never find out who's calling because Sage just blocks it out, but I felt cheap for introducing the plot thread then never developing it. The phone calls are actually with Billy and the conversations were usually him calling to harass her about her parenting skills, but I figured Sage would just block him.

      Sage does need support! She's in a tough situation by herself... the Ivanovs are super nice! I like Nadine especially with all of her charisma :)

      Delete